Monday, May 29, 2017

Chinese Dumpling ingredients - Toni's version

What I put into my dumplings: (edited 6/3/2017 for clarity)

I used:
16 ounces ground pork
3.5 chopped cabbage
1.25 cups chopped white onion
12 cloves of garlic
1/2 chopped green onion
1 tsp fresh ground ginger
1/2 tablespoon Chinese seasoning (five spice)
Sea salt about 1.5 tsp
Black pepper .5 tsp

***red curry paste**** 2nd dumpling option.



In a skillet, I added the cabbage, onion and garlic and cooked until tender and
then I mixed it with everything else.

I then made various shaped dumplings.

I loaded the top part of the steamer with the  dumplings that I made  with the mixture above.  Then I took a portion of the mixture and added the red curry paste and I made dumplings for the second layer of the steamer.

I used store bought wrappers and stuffed and shapped them.  I put them in my bamboo steamer and cooked for 12 minutes. Most of the recipes called for 12 minutes and one recipe said that the pork temp must be 155 degrees.  Mine got to l60.

I am sorry that I do not have a recipe link as I made this one up from other recipes that I read and videos on you tube.

My cooking notes:  I would use more cabbage and some finely chopped celery.  I could use about double the chinese spice and red curry and definitely more salt.   I think fine shreds of carrot would add flavor.  I think I could use less meat in them.   And the less meat goes for less fat and calories, so that is  a win for me.  Also the reason for the more veggies is that the pork seems to be dense when steamed.  I'd like a less dense filling.

I made a variety of little sauces using vinegar and some of the premade sauces.

I ended up with a fist shaped ball of left over mixture that I froze immediately.  I also ended up with about 20 dumplings that I froze.

Update on the frozen dumplings.  I took them out of the freezer a few days later and fried them frozen.  They turn out beautifully.  Tastey, but you know.. FRIED.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and feel free to leave me a note here.