Thursday, September 28, 2017

I was born - For the record


Looks like I made it into two newspapers.
A daughter to Edward Coker
&
To Mr. and Mrs. Coker, a daughter.
According to the paper it was a Blessed Event

And here I am three months later in a Santa suit (December 1963), with my father, My Grandma Coker and my sister.


My Grandma taught me to knit.  I have wonderful memories of her.  She sewed full barbie cases of clothing for my dolls,  and made me clothes, and sweaters.   I got to play on her organ during the holidays and she made fabulous candy.   She made other crafts like little Owls out of Styrofoam balls, felt, and so many more things.  I remember that when I walked into the room that she was so very very happy to see me.  I always felt pretty special.   A second divorce in my family would take me away from her by 3rd grade and I never saw her again until I was older.  I got to spend a little time with her in my mid 20's (long enough for her to help me made decent chicken gravy..."you really need to brown that flour, Toni, you are making gravy from raw flour.. get it hot and brown it first!!!"  She also taught me to knit Intarsia, and a few other crafts.   Another family circumstance would then separate us for the rest of her life.

I miss my grandma Coker.  I know she was always proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and feel free to leave me a note here.