Monday, June 5, 2017

Gnocchi Bake - recipe by Toni - This one is a keeper

4-6 ounces sausage, or ground beef, turkey, or go meatless.
1/2 onion, or 1/2 cup green onion
1 Jar pasta sauce... Prego, classico, etc..
1 can tomato sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 large tbls Italian seasoning
1 large tbls ground oregano
***** the above is just a red sauce that is easy to make, you can use your homegrown, homemade red sauces, it will only be that much better*****

1 package gnocchi from the refrigerator section.
1/2 bag of spinach
1 ball mozzarella cheese - whole milk



For the sauce.  I used about 6 ounces of country style pork sausage.

I browned the sausage in a large skillet.  I was out of onion or I would have added onions.  I did have green onion so I chopped a 1/2 cup or so and added to the sausage.  Then I added 1 jar classico pasta sauce, 1 can tomato sauce and a can of chopped tomatoes.  I then added 1 tsp of salt, and black pepper, 13 cloves crushed garlic, and few tablespoons, Italian seasoning, and a large tablespoon of fresh ground oregan. I was also out of fresh basil, or I would have added that too.  I cooked this sauce with the lid on for about 6 hours. 

In a boiling pot of water I added the package of gnocchi, and boiled for 3 minutes and drained.  Then I mixed about 1.5 cups of the sauce with the gnocchi.

In a round dish I then put in 1/2 the gnocchi  a layer of ripped spinach, a later of mozzarella slicels, another layer of gnocchi, then spinach, and a layer of meat sauce and topped with a layer of mozzarella slices.

I put into the oven and turned it to 400 and cooked for 25-30 minutes.
















 Enjoy.  Let me know if you have questions.  This is a very very easy recipe.

My review:  This is a very tasty dish.  I enjoyed it.  I like the simplicity of the dumplings.  I think I could have used the whole bag of spinache.  I could have put  some wine in the sauce. Over all it is good.  I have 1/2 of the sauce  that is in the fridge / freezer. I will use for another meal.   I think this makes about five servings.   To make it more WW friendly omit the sausage, and use skim Mozzerella.   It was a filling portion.  Very Happy with the result.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and feel free to leave me a note here.